Sunday, October 11, 2020

OctPoWriMo, Day 11

Today has been something of a lost day (not a grief-related Lost Day, but just a garden variety lost day in which little went according to plan (you know, like normal people have - "normal" being those uninitiated into the rituals and patterns of deep grief). On the bright side, none of the 'not according to plan' was under my control in the slightest, so I went with it. Tomorrow's another day, right? Ugh. Moving on...

Poetry Prompts: Write a letter to your Muse asking the best way to hear them, work with them, and how to work in the creative stream. Continue writing until the answers flow onto the page.

Word Prompts: Muse, Inspiration, In the flow, Creativity 

Poetry Type: Rispetto, Didactic 

I went with Rispetto, for precisely one reason: my senior year in High School, I played Veta Louise Simmons in our production of Harvey. One of Veta's lines to her daughter is, "Don't be didactic, Myrtle Mae; it's not becoming in a young girl, and men loathe it." Yeah, yeah - I'm not a young girl, and truthfully, IDGAF what men loathe, and while I do love to teach people something new (just as I love learning new things), to this day I have an aversion to being perceived as didactic. (Such... fun little idiosyncrasies in my mind, hmmm? 🤷‍♀️)


The Fire Yet (or Not) to Be

When life's events make art seem a petty vise
The artist finds she's lost her creative fire
The Muses will extract a traveling price
To the woods! To build a restorative pyre!

Assimilate the mem'ries that rend her soul
Write a new story; craft herself a new role
Will nature, wild, create a spark of new life?
Or did she die when she stopped being his wife?

No comments:

Post a Comment