Sunday, October 4, 2020

OctPoWriMo Day 4

Today's prompt is going for a stream-of-consciousness kinda thing. I dig it. I have no idea what this is going to be, but I dig the idea: Write for ten minutes allowing your words to go where they want to go, let them fall onto the page. If you weren't afraid, what would you write? Follow the words. Breathe, step forward, and fall.

Word prompts for today: falling, breathe, fearless
Poetry style: Blitz Poem

Breathe in Joy
I can't move
I can't breathe
Breathe in peace
Breathe out fear
Fear hardens
Fear transforms and fearless I am
Am I kidding myself
Am I not afraid of everything
Everything I need is gone
Everything is dark and gray
Gray skies gray days
Gray hair gray heart
Heart broken
Heart destroyed
Destroyed my identity
Destroyed my future
Future no longer beckons
Future looms ominous thunderclouds
Thunderclouds the inner voice that wants to try
Thunderclouds hide reality
Reality is overrated
Reality is Hell
Hell is real
Hell is this life
Life without someone who I love most who loves me most
Life like that is not a life
Life like that is shallow
Life like that is lonely
Lonely is always getting your way
Lonely is no fight for the blanket
Blanket to cover your cold feet
Blanket to cover your cold hands
Hands that stroked my face
Hands that held mine so gently
Gently and fiercely
Gently but strongly we loved
Loved making you laugh
Loved hearing you speak
Speak to me and tell me you're okay
Speak to me and tell me what to do
Do you even still exist
Do you even care that you left me behind
Behind me a life that's gone forever
Behind me the only life I wanted
Wanted to spend my life with you
Wanted to be your greatest joy
Joy can no longer exist
Joy is less resolute than I
I...
Exist...

Ok, y'all: I LOVE this form! It's rather like playing a game of word association with oneself. If you write it as quickly as its name suggests, there's no time for self-censorship or overthinking. And the constraints of the form force you to be creative. I can see myself using this now and then as a journaling technique.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! It is one of my favorite forms to play with. So glad you tried it out. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan! Even if this month doesn't turn me into a poet, I'm learning new forms that I never knew existed, and this one very definitely feels like playing. 🧡

      Delete