Tuesday, October 6, 2020

OctPoWriMo, Day 6

I crashed obscenely early last night, and woke up at 1:30 AM. I've been awake ever since, because... sleep and I haven't been on the best of terms these past 227 days. I'm a morning person by nature, and so this very long day has left my eyes burning and my head aching. And I'm still working on a Bingo Card/drinking game for tomorrow's VP debate. No rest for the wicked, amirite? Sigh...

The moral of the story is: I should write my OctPoWriMo submission each day as soon as I get up instead of waiting until the day winds down. Will I do that? Probably not. But it's a really good idea! Anyway...

Today's prompt: Following desire - what is your desire and how can you follow your desire? Write about what you desire and possible steps to get you there. 

Word Prompts: Desire, Steps, Drive 

Poetry Type: Converse or Monotetra. I decided to try my hand at Monotetra.

Fly Away

Desire: elusive butterfly
Cannot be caged, although we try
Freedom is found in wind and sky
And then we die; and then we die

A bit of hope; the smallest thread
Might calm the existential dread
Of nights alone, stories unsaid
An empty bed; an empty bed

"Take steps," they say, "to heal your soul"
There is no "healing" grand guignol
When fear and anger take control
I'll play my role; I'll play my role

The widow is the witch made real,
A bitter crone, about to steal
The smug comfort you, daily, feel
Death's bell will peal; Death's bell will peal

Drive off! A trip! Be nature-bound!
Perhaps there your hope will be found
Or maybe you'll come right back 'round
Don't make a sound; don't make a sound

Hope is much like that butterfly
How can I snatch it from the sky?
I can't; it must land by and by
before I die; before I die


2 comments: