Monday, August 17, 2020

Ten months and poetry(ish)

Ten months ago today, I married the love of my life. In three days, he'll be dead six months. I still cannot reconcile those numbers, even though I know they're correct.

I wasn't planning to post anything to the blog today; I was too deeply sad even to write, really. But, this evening, I participated in a writing about grief workshop hosted by Alive - I really wasn't feeling it, but I'd already signed up, and I didn't want to no-show.

The two facilitators walked us through three writing exercises, the last of which was to express an emotion without stating the emotion - in metaphor, or via physical description. And then they talked about using different writing forms, and how sometimes those constraints (writing in metaphor, or a writing, say, a sonnet) can make writing even more powerful.

So I wrote a haiku. I don't think it'll win me any awards, but for someone who's NEVER been able to write good haiku, I'll take it; I've seen (and written) worse. (For the record, I can indeed write TF out of a sonnet, though, but that's a post for another day.)

No more reds or blues
Everything is shades of gray
Color left me, too


No comments:

Post a Comment