Wednesday, March 18, 2020

An evenin' off from grievin'

If you follow me on Facebook, you may have already read about my misadventures in the refrigerator last night.

If not, here's the condensed version: I've been largely avoiding alcohol since Doug died (alcohol is a depressant, and I think we have enough depression around here - plus, I don't want to risk developing a drinking problem to go with my grief). But last night, I decided to indulge; grief counseling yesterday was grueling, and it was St Patrick's Day, so why not? Got a shot of Honey Jack, got my frosty glass... and discovered that Doug died and left me with no beer except for three Coronas. 🤦‍♀️ Was this Doug getting in one last joke from the afterlife? Anything's possible.

Moving on... there seems to be widespread agreement that grieving is very hard work (and it IS; it's exhausting and draining on every possible level). And, like with any hard work, breaks are necessary.

So I made myself take a break last night, because I REALLY needed one. I drank (a whopping two beers and two shots), I ate pizza (Boboli crust with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, shaved parmesan and basil), I watched comedies, I engaged in some fun banter with friends on Facebook. I took an evenin' off from grievin', people. And you know what?

IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Now, did it restore my faith in humanity and my will to live? Ummm, no. I distracted myself from my misery for a few hours, and it was necessary to take a breath so I could get back to grieving without losing my mind, but it doesn't change anything.

Will I do it again? Absolutely, but with a caution: I can see how self-medicating like this can become a slippery slope. It feels good to shove aside the pain for a little while. Most nights, self-care means watching a little Netflix and trying to ignore my problems for an hour or two. Last night, self-care meant getting drunk and forgetting my problems for several hours. But I won't make a habit out of this, because I know it won't fix anything and could cause more problems. At most, I'll indulge in a little booze once every week or two.

But having a couple of hours to feel completely normal was really, really nice.

Yes, I still woke up this morning, crying because I'm alive and Doug isn't. Like I said: last night didn't fix anything; it was just a break from my 20(ish)-hour-a-day grieving process. 

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled emotional breakdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment