Wednesday, March 11, 2020

February 17 2020 - Doug's Surgery

This is reposted from my Facebook page.

We haven't posted publicly about this, because Doug tends to prefer to keep things private (side note: what kind of actor isn't an attention whore?!?), but he's under general anesthesia right now and can't stop me, so... (KIDDING! I have his permission to post.)
Doug had a really hard time getting around in Hawaii. After WAY too many doctor visits and tests, with WAY too much time spent WAITING for those visits and tests, he's having bifemoral aortic bypass surgery today. (If you Google that to learn what it is and happen on a YouTube video animation of the surgery by Cal Shipley MD, you probably don't want to watch it. Trust. 😳)
He had this done before, back in 2003, but the warranty on his original replacement aorta has worn out (😘), and it needs to be removed and replaced because it is completely occluded. And if you're wondering why his legs haven't fallen off (what with a completely clogged aorta and all), you'll be fascinated to know that the human body is amazing: he's grown two collateral arteries, one on either side of his abdomen, each feeding one leg. But that's not enough to provide adequate circulation when he exerts himself, and so here we are.
Surgery is expected to take 5-7 hours, and he'll be in the hospital for about a week, assuming everything goes well.
We don't need anything right now, aside from whatever good vibes you can spare. And if you've been wondering why we haven't really been out socializing or auditioning for shows the past few months... well, now you know: he didn't want to make a big deal about it, and I knew I'd burst into tears and tell the whole story as soon as anybody asked how we're doing (I may be an okay actor, but I'm a shitty liar and I hate small talk).
Not the way we'd probably choose to mark exactly four months of marriage, but what a way to prove I wasn't kidding about that "in sickness and in health" business, amirite? 😘
I'll post significant updates as I get them, and if y'all could keep him in your thoughts today, I'll be truly grateful. ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment